Providing employment to locals

Some of the representatives from the private sector attending the training and employment scheme briefing held at Local Work Agency and Workforce Development Agency (APTK) in the capital yesterday. Picture: BT/Yusri Adanan

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Private sector urged to collaborate with APTK

IN AN effort to provide employment for more local jobseekers in the private sector, the Local Work Agency and Workforce Development (APTK) called on employers to work closely with the agency and give information on job vacancies in their establishments.

APTK has been actively organising briefing on the Training and Employment Scheme (SLP) in the trade, wholesale and retail industry sectors with local companies throughout the country.

The meetings aim to familiarise the scheme as well as to best meet the requirements of both employers and jobseekers.

"If possible, we would like the employers to come approach us to disclose job opportunities for the local jobseekers," Head of APTK Mawardi Hj Mohammad told the press yesterday on the sidelines of the briefing held at the APTK office on Jalan Cator in the capital.

He urged companies in the private sector to provide employment for more local jobseekers.

Starting March this year, he added, under the SLP programme there will be a total of 113 vacancies for varied posts such as salesperson, driver, and shop floor worker at 42 identified companies in the trade, wholesale and retail industry. "The opportunity is out there but it depends on the number of jobseekers to meet the available positions," he said.

"Jobseekers are reminded to register with the APTK office and its branches in Belait, Tutong and Temburong Districts and for those who have been registered, (they) are also reminded to ensure the validity of their registration so that their names remain on the jobseekers' list," he explained, adding that the renewal should take place every four months.

Since the briefing on SLP took place last year, he said more jobseekers have registered themselves to the APTK office.

The briefing, which was presented by APTK Project Manager of Special Programme Unit Nur Hidayati Hj Haris @Harith, comprises the policy on SLP, reduction of the quota for foreign workers in the trade, wholesale, retail industry at seven job areas including supervising positions, labourers, sales assistants, drivers, bakers, cashiers, and butchers.

The representatives of the companies were also briefed on the matter of allowance given to the participants during six months on-the-job training (OJT), which will be split 35 per cent paid by the employers and the remaining 65 per cent by the government.

Prior to the work placement at the respective companies, the participants of OJT will be trained at the APTK between five and 14 days depending on the type of job qualification.

At the end of the session yesterday, the representatives of the companies filled out the worker-job information form provided by the APTK.The Brunei Times